With Summer ’07 wrapping up this week, I decided to comb through the Fall Previews and figure out what the next four months will involve…
UPDATE 8/29: War just hammered the last nail in summer’s coffin. How the hell could that have been messed up so badly? I really thought this would be fun. What a sin. Stratham needs to get a better manager and choose his projects more carefully – with Dwayne goin’ soft on us he’s our last and only hero for these types of movies. Oh well. And no, i’m not seeing Halloween or Balls of Fury or Death Sentence this weekend. So there it is. Another summer at the movies gone by.
The Top Ten Events:
1. Beowulf. It’s been a multi-year wait, and judging from the R-rated comic-con trailer, Zemekis’ mo-cap Imax 3D epic poem will be well worth it.
2. Sweeney Todd. This could be the best Burton ever. I just wish Elfman did score in-between songs like he did for Chicago.
3. There Will Be Blood. Because PTA is 4 for 4. And, although this is off his beaten path, he has the abilty to take a subject matter I have no interest in and make it my favorite film of the year.
4. Enchanted. Yes, the trailer blows. But I have faith in this. At least in the animated segments. The future of Disney 2D animation’s return rests heavily in the opening weekend of this film. So let’s hope it delivers. At the very least, the two new Menken tunes won’t disappoint.
5. Southland Tales. I’ve stayed away from learning much about Richard Kelly’s long, long-delayed follow up to Darko. But the fact that it is just that is all the reason I need.
6. D-war. This is why going to the movies will never die. Or will. One or the other.
7. I Am Legend. Sure I wish it was made twenty years ago with Arnold. But still, this trailer sets up a really fun midnight experience.
8. The Water Horse. Because MeShee only left me wanting more.
9. AVP: Requiem. Because I desperately want to love an AVP film.
10. 30 Days of Night. Because the director of Hard Candy plus Vampires equals awesome.
Future BergViews will also include (in order of release) :
someone to eat cheese with
shoot em up
the brave one
across the universe
assassination of jesse james
The Darjeeling Limited
run fatboy run
lars and the real girl
gone baby gone
no country for old men
lions for lambs
mr maghoriums wonder emporium
margot at the wedding
youth without youth
nt2: book of secrets
charlie wilsons war
And that’s about it. I don’t find myself all that interested in many of the other films this Fall. What are your thoughts? What can’t YOU wait for?